Whole wheat halwa or Lachka is a Bohra Sweet dish , which is mandatory dessert in New Years Eve Feast. The wheat which was one of the primary staples of mankind and jaggery was first form of sugar are the key ingredients of this sweet dish just to prove that we still have not forgotten mankind's first food invasions.
The Thaal of the New Year Eve has all the delicacies of Bohra cuisine , which is rich and ultra mouthwatering. But one of them which is Lachka is very simple , kind of healthy yet delicious dish , acts as one of the Starters of a very lengthy meal where bohras have 27 plus dishes as a minimum number and that includes all types of seasonal fruits as well. The reason behind getting all possible food dishes , which hey cook daily or on special occasions are included with a Belief that their houses would always be filled with food of all types and their preference.
This Lavish spread in the beginning of new year is only observed at a bohra household among the entire Muslim community. Bohras, a sect of Shiya Muslims , they have firm belief in their customs and the way they have maintained it for years . Among several customs of bohra culture , New Year holds a very important place as after the celebration of the beginning of the year they immediately grieve the next 9 days on the great sacrifice of Imam Hussain .
Here is the recipe for Whole Wheat Halwa or Lachka , a dessert which demands little hard work and time but you will love it when it will get you all the compliments from your friends and family .
Lachka or Whole Wheat Halwa
12 hours 40 minutes
- Course :
- Servings :
- Author :
- Description :
A Rich and flavorful dessert made of whole wheat and Jaggery .
- 500 grms hulled whole wheat (soaked overnight )
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1/2 cup semolina (Rava)
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp dried coconut
- Nuts (your choice) for garnishing
- Pressure cook soaked whole wheat with 2 cups of water . (be careful as it should not burn from bottom while in pressure cooker , add good quantity of water for boiling .)
- Once wheat is well cooked , keep it aside .
- Take heavy bottom big pot on stove , on medium heat melt 2 tbsp ghee .
- Next to add whole wheat flour and semolina to heated ghee , roast it until its raw smell goes and rava atta mixture smells pleasant .
- Remove this roasted flour mixture into a plate and keep it aside.
- Now melt remaining ghee into the same pot on medium heat , add crushed jaggery and stir it well until it is melted and mixed well with ghee .
- Next add roasted flour and boiled wheat to jagerry ghee mixture with raisins and nuts ,stir it thoroughly .
- Taste and balance the sweetness if needed .
- Serve warm with some yogurt , garnishing top with saffron strands .
Enjoy and Happy Feasting !!
Stay conncted with my food updates on Instagram and Facebook.