Dabba Gosht, literally meaning a luscious mutton gravy served in containers generally metal. ( In Gujarat, we call it dabba ) . A traditional bohra dish , tender and juicy boneless chunks of lamb soaked in white sauce ,which is often cooked on occasions in almost all bohra households. Dabba Gosht is served as main course or a "Khaaras" ( a typical bohra word used for spicy side dish served along with dessert and main dish) in a Bohra Thaal.
It's simple, very quick and amazing. Spicy , flavorful with all the right reasons to be present on special days which is when mutton curry makes it more celebrating. I knew right there that I needed to share this on the blog as you guys would love it! I have made it unlimited times and every time we ended up polishing it before I could take the right picture. But we are finally here with the best Bohra mutton curry for all food seekers and meat lovers. If you go to Bhindi bazaar in Mumbai, you find several grocery shops selling readymade Dabba Ghost spice packets but I beleive that the real charm of creating and recreating the recipe is much fun rather than buying the monotonous spice packets.
Dabba Gosht (Bohra way)
- Course :
- Servings :
- Author :
- Description :
A traditional Bohra dish , tender and juicy boneless chunks of lamb soaked in white sauce .
- 1/2 kg lamb meat (boneless)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tomato slices
- 4 green chilies
- fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 cup macaroni (boiled)
- 1 tbsp cashew powder
- 2 tbsp white-flour( maida)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs boiled
- 1 egg whole
- 1/4 cup fried potato cubes (small)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1tbsp butter
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2tbsp ghee
- Boil the mutton in pressure cooker till tender with chopped onion ,ginger-garlic paste ,green chilies ,salt and add some water .
- Once mutton boiled , separate 1cup mutton soup from it to use it later .
- Next , heat butter in a pan , add jeera , cashew powder and all purpose flour (maida) in it and cook , make sure not to burn it, pour milk slowly and stir it to avoid the lump. Add the mutton soup ( from boiled meat ) , cook it till it reaches perfect sauce consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add boiled meat, fried potatoes and macaroni to this white suace and mix it well .
- Pour it on serving container or plate.
- Heat some ghee and pour it on it.
- Sprinkle hardboiled egg pieces over it and make a layer of tomatoes slices .
- Beat 2 egg in a bowl, add some salt and red chili powder. Now heat ghee to boiling point. Pour beaten egg over the white sauce mutton and pour boiling ghee on the egg.
- Heat the oven on 180° and bake it for about few minutes until egg is cooked.
- Serve it hot with chapatis .
Eid or any Festive lunch can't be better than this. In upcoming days Entire Muslim world would be celebrating the New year of 1440. Bohras welcome the new year in their own culture with placing the Thaal on the New year Eve with all the delicacies of all types with a believe that such dishes would continue to be on their dining tables all through the year. The Thaal is generally decorated and marked by good omens which would bring the promise of success or happiness. I would soon share my new year eve thaal pictures with you all .
Enjoy and Happy Feasting !!
Stay conncted with my food updates on Instagram and Facebook.